The use of 29″ wheels is now widely seen in mountain bikes. And obviously, it has both benefits and drawbacks as well as special demands from buyers. As the 29-inch bike is a taller people’s bike, it is not used like a traditional MTB bike. Though it is heavier and less responsive, it is speedy and has more clearance.
Here we have talked about the 29-inch bike for what size person. To know details about our conversation read this article properly.
What Does It Mean By 29-Inch Bike And 29″ Wheel?
The 29-inch bike indicates a mountain and hybrid bike. These bikes use 700 c or 622 mm ISO wheels, which are known as 29″ wheels. And, this special-sized mountain bike is used for flat road riding, touring, and tarmac riding.
- The rim is the outer edge of a wheel that holds the tire-. And, a straight line passes through the center of a circle and meets the surface at each end then we get a measurement that is called the diameter.
If anyone let you measure the diameter of a wheel, you may measure from the tip of the point to the bottom of the other point.
Suppose, you get a figure 29″, but it is not the actual diameter. To find the actual measurement you have to measure-
- From the outer lip of one side to the outer lip of another side.
- Then you will get 24.5 inch, 700c, or 622 millimeters
- In the same way, a 26-inch tire has a rim diameter of 22.0 inches or 559 miles.
Do You Know What Is 700C Exactly?
As every year different new standards are discovered, and there are different standards for tire measurement. But 700 c is the most widely used standard for measuring bike components. And most people confuse 700 c with 700cc.
- 700 cc is a term for motorcycles that indicates their motor power.
700c is a term that is used to measure wheel diameter according to the French system.
- 700c measures the approximate diameter across the wheel without a tire. In one word, you can say 700 c measures the approximate diameter across the rim of a milometer. It doesn’t mean 700 millimeters but indicates 633 millimeters.
- And, “C” indicates tire width. Measurements with this alphabet come from the French style. There are 4 scales from A, B, C, and D.
- A is the smallest width,
- B is a slightly larger width than A,
- C is a larger width than A and B,
- And D is the largest.
- That is, A is the narrowest wide and D is the widest.
Also, many bikers think 700c and 29″ are the same. No! They are not the same. There is a small difference between them.
- 700c and 29-inch diameter is the same but 700c is narrower than a 29-inch wheel.
Then What Is A 29-Inch Bike Frame?
A 29-inch bike’s frame size is 19 to 21 inches in some cases frame size can be more than 21+. As bike size is based on wheel size, by looking at the size of the wheels you will get an idea about the size of the bike.
- If The shape of the wheel increases, then the size of the frame also increases.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of The 29-Inch Bike
- 29-inch bike is more clarence. Due to the large size, the crank, pedals, and drivetrain are above the ground. So, there is no chance of getting hurt by stones, tree roots, and other objects.
- Tall people can use it comfortably.
- Due to the large wheels, stones or other obstacles can be crossed with less effort.
- Big wheel means more traction whereas extra traction keeps you glued to the ground. So, the chances of falling off the bike are less.
- Bigger wheel provides more speed. Although initially, it takes time to get up to speed.
- Once the speed is up, you can maintain this speed. Then you can ride at high speed by spending less energy.
- it gives the rider a better climbing experience.
- Slow acceleration.
- Heavier wheels.
- Because of heavier wheels you need more brake power to stop it.
- As a bigger wheel is comparatively weaker than other small-size wheels, 29-inch bike wheels are weak. But that doesn’t mean ‘very weak’.
- It is less responsive. Because it needs more effort to turn and limited compatibility.
Difference Among 26, 27.5, 29-Inches Wheel Size
|Difference||26-Inch Bike||27.5-Inch Bike||29-Inch Bike|
|Suspension||Bigger suspension which is 130 millimeters.||A slightly smaller suspension which is 120 millimeters.||The 29-inch bike has the smallest suspension which is 100 millimeters.|
|Weight||26-inch bike has the least weight.||More weight than 26inch but less than 29.||It is a heavier bike.|
|Riding Area||Stunt riding.||Off-road riding.||Long-distance riding.|
What Size Person Can Use A 29-Inch Bike?
The easiest way to determine how many inches of the bike is perfect for you is your height. And here, a 29″ bike is suitable for people 5’10” to 6’2″ tall.
- If the height is much high, the size of the bike will be large and if the height is low, the size of the bike will be small.
- If your height is less than 5’10”, you can use a 26″ bike. But if you don’t find a comfortable bike according to your size, you can use a 27.5-inch bike.
- The 27.5-inch bike is between 26 and 29 inches. It is suitable for those who are unlikely to find the perfect bike.
Table For Finding A Perfect Size Bike According To Your Height:
|Height Of Rider||Frame Size Of Bike||Wheel Size|
|4-11″ – 5’3″||13 – 15 inches||26’’|
|5’3″ – 5’7″||15 – 16 inches||26’’|
|5’7″ – 5’11”||16 – 17 inches||27.5”|
|5’11” – 6’2″||17-19 inches||27.5”|
|6’2″ – 6’4″||19 – 21inches||29”|
|6’4″ and Taller||21+ inches||29”|
12-year-old boys can ride a 29″ bike. But if their height is short according to their age, they will use smaller size bikes. On the other hand, if the height of an under 12-year-old guy is 5’10″+ then they can also ride a 29-inch bike.
Chart For Suitable Bikes According To Age:
|2-3 years old||14–17″ (35–42 cm)||2’10″–3’4″ (85–100 cm)|
|3-4 years old||16–20″ (40–50 cm)||3’1″–3’7″ (95–110 cm)|
|4-5 years old||18–22″ (45–55 cm)||3’7″–4’0″ (110–120 cm)|
|5-8 years old||22–25″ (55–63 cm)||4’0″–4’5″ (120–135 cm)|
|8-11 years old||24–28″ (60–72 cm)||4’5″–4’9″ (135–145 cm)|
|11+ years old||26’+ (70+ cm)||4’9″+ (145+ cm)|
Last of all, age, height everything is above your comfortability. Many times, it is seen that among two persons of equal size, one’s comfortable bike is uncomfortable for the other. That means such preferences may vary. So, buy the bike of your choice with a trial before buying it.
But Is A 29″ Bike Only For Tall People? Or Can Short People Also Use It?
The answer to this question is no! Riders of 5′ or less in height cannot use a 29″ bike. Their size is too small to operate the pedal, handlebar, and other components. So they can’t control it properly.
Therefore, It should be clear to you now that short people can’t ride a 29-inch bike.
Can Women Ride A 29-Inch Bike?
Yes! Women can ride a 29-inch bike. Currently, all bikes are unisex. Some specific bikes offer certain unique benefits for boys and girls. But most of the bikes are suitable for both children.
Not currently gender facts to ride a bike but the Height and age facts. Because the bike size is determined by age and height. Although the height of girls according to age is less than boys. So, the size of the bike is determined according to the height of both boys and girls, though a girl of 6′ height is usually not seen.
- But tall girls i.e., 5’10” to 6’2″ inches tall girls can use a 29″ bike.
You May Like: What Size Bike Is Good For Women?
Final Say About What Size Person Can Use 29-Inch Bikes
It is clear now that the 29-inch bike is a bike for tall people. And, short people can’t control it properly because of their size. So, it is not a good choice for short people. Nonetheless, the 29-inch bike uses 700c wheels but 700c and 29-inch wheels are not the same. Because 700c is narrower than 29 inches. Almost all 29-inch bike is the unisex bike and used for long-distance, touring purposes. And, nowadays the use of 29″ bikes is increasing.