Fortunately, you can easily paint your favorite bicycle at home. About eight years ago I painted my bicycle at home for the first time. There is an interesting incident from that time, which you may like to hear about.
One afternoon while cycling back home and parking the bike, I noticed that some of the paint on my bike had come off and it looked very bad. Meanwhile, I had a small area-based race the next day, so I was feeling pretty bad about the condition of the bike. And then I didn’t have enough money to take the bike to the mechanic and get it painted. So I painted the bike myself, although not perfectly the first time. But later it gradually improved. As a result, I have never had to paint the outside of the bike in these 8 years so far.
But now with a few right tools and a little time investment, you too can easily paint a bike beautifully on your own. This will save you a lot of money and also give your favorite bike a new look. So let’s tell you the complete process of painting a bike at home with your own hands.
6 Easy Steps To Paint Your Bike At Home
STEP 1: Turn On Stripping The Cycle
When you think about painting your bike, the bike frames need to be taken apart piece by piece so that they are not attached. That’s because if you don’t remove the frame completely, the paint won’t sit properly in different areas. And this can make the bike paint look bad.
Later, all these things must be added together. So you may need different types of necessary instruments to complete the process of this painting.
- Allen Wrench
- Chain Tool
- Socket Wrench
- Crescent Wrench
- Spray Paint
- Clear Coat
The Process Of Removing:
- First, you need to take off the bike equipment one by one and keep them separately. You can easily do this by using the tools mentioned above.
- By using a good Allen wrench, the bar stem, brake, bottle holder, etc. of the bicycle should be carefully removed.
- A socket wrench should be used to remove the various arms of the crank. You can conveniently use a crescent wrench for the front fork of a bicycle, it can give a much better output.
- Also, when you go to open the chain of the bike, you should use the chain tool, which is specially manufactured for this part.
If you are doing these things for the first time or if you are a newbie, then these parts should be taken care of properly so that no mistakes are made and your bike is not damaged.
Moreover, you should remember all these things step by step so that if you need to repaint later, you can do it yourself better. Also when you take your bike apart there may be various small parts. Such as screws, bolts, small pieces, etc., there may be things which you must store properly. So that once the paint is complete, you can reassemble the bike properly.
STEP 2: Clean The Bike Perfectly
Now each part of the bicycle frame needs to be thoroughly cleaned one by one. Since you are repainting your bike, it already has some paint problems or is dirty, right?
- There may be some grease and grime from the previous painting. And, a good brand of cleaner can be used to get rid of all these.
- You will find many good brands of cleaners in the market, there are many options among them.
- The bicycle frame should be cleaned in such a way that no dirt remains. Because the better you clean, the better the painting will last on the cycle.
STEP 3: Rub It Little
You can use some sandpaper to rough up the surface of the old bicycle paint, it works very well. This work has to be done very delicately. Because the smoother and cleaner the surface of your bike is, the better it will hold the new paint.
When this is done, a lot of dust can be born, to remove all that dust, with a good damp cloth, the entire parts of the bicycle frame should be wiped well.
STEP 4: Cover Up All Those Areas Where You Don’t Want To Paint
There are many parts of the bike that you don’t want to paint so you can cover them with a good plastic bag. I am telling you this matter more clearly so that you can understand it easily.
Assume that your bike is in very rough shape. But the crank arms are still much better than that so you don’t want to remove them. Then covering it with a clear plastic bag will not require any new painting, it will be much easier for you.
- You can use some masking tape if you want.
- This will keep them tidy and also cover all the crank arms.
- Covering the brake posts with masking tape along with covering the crank arms would be good for the bike.
STEP 5: Paint The Cycle Appropriately
Now it’s time to paint the bike.
Many complete the painting by hanging the entire bicycle frame by threading a special wire to the bicycle’s head tube. But most of the time many people do not have enough space to hang their bikes. Because only then you can complete this whole task in another way. In that case, you have to choose two shields, I am giving details about that also.
- In the first stage, the frame of the bicycle rested on the opening of the seat post and was large with the rear dropouts as well.
- In the second stage, it should be balanced on the crank arm of the bicycle and an accompanying chainset. Although it is not completely stable, it works pretty well. It helps to give much better output in your painting.
At least three coats of spray paint should be applied to all areas to complete each step in painting the bicycle.
- Never forget to wait 5 minutes after applying each coat. So because of these two phases, a total of 6 different color coats are applied during the paint cycle.
- Then check properly that every part of the bike is thoroughly painted.
- If any places are empty then paint should be properly applied there. Because if it is empty it can look very messy after drying.
Once the painting is complete, it should be dried properly.
- Be sure not to touch any part of the bike before it’s completely dry, this can cause the paint to come off, which you never want.
STEP 6: Put The Every Part Of The Bicycle Back On Properly
After proper drying, it is time to put all the parts back together and start the bike.
- If you have carefully stored every piece of your bike from the beginning you should not have much trouble at this stage.
- But if you haven’t saved the pieces carefully then this time may seem a bit boring for you.
Finally, your bike painting is complete, and the sweet beauty is now ready for the next wonderful ride.
Last Say Regarding Painting Bike At Home
Hopefully, you have been properly informed about the complete process of how you can DIY paint your favorite bicycle at home very easily. By following this method you can renew your favorite bike yourself without any mechanical charges. So why delay, get a new getup from your favorite bike today and complete your next tour more beautifully. Also, surprise your friends with your bike. Happy Biking!