Winters always bring various worries for bike lovers. And, the concern of storing bicycles is one of them. If you are a bicycle lover, the first thing that comes to your mind is how to store bicycles in winter, right? My today’s arrangement can completely remove this worry of yours.
Throughout today’s full article, I will discuss different methods of bicycle storage, what care is required while storing bicycles, and also special tips for winter storing facts. This means reading this entire article will reduce your winter cycling worries by almost 90%. Here I will also share many of my personal experiences with you.
Things You Need To Do Before Store Your Bicycles In Winter
Before knowing how to store your bicycle during the winter, you must know the things that need to be done. A variety of problems can arise if the bicycle is not straightened up properly before storage. Follow all the following points to stay free from all those problems.
Clean And Lubricate Your Cycle
- First of all, clean your bike frame, chain, and other components with a degreaser or brush.
- Then, lubricate the chain and other moving parts with light oil.
- Proper mineral oil will help prevent your bike’s items from rusting.
Check The Bike Tyres Properly
You should make sure your bike tires are properly magnified and that similarly in a good condition.
Try To Store Your Bike Indoors
You should store it in a dry, temperature-controlled environment. Because this will help to protect it from the winter elements and keep it in an adequate situation. If it is possible, kindly store your bike indoors.
Look After The Bike Brakes
- Check that your bike’s brakes are working properly before storing them for the winter.
- Moreover, the brake pads also tend to wear down a lot during this time. So care must be taken that they are not worn down.
Remove The Battery
Many riders are more comfortable using battery-powered bicycles. If you are one of them, then your bike battery needs extra care during winter.
- Be sure to remove it before storing it, otherwise, it will likely drain.
Check The Bike Chain Immediately
Bicycle chains tend to rust the most during winter. So proper lubricant must be used.
- Use lubricant on bike chains before storing.
- Also, if you store this for several days, good quality lubricant should be used by checking every 3 to 4 days.
You should check the gears faultlessly. Also, look after that they are changing positions properly and the derailleur is in decent condition.
Examine The Bicycles Headset
Cover Your Cycle
If you store your bike outdoors, make sure to cover it with a waterproof cover. So that your bike can protect from any type of snow, rain, and other elements. Moreover, if you store it in an enclosed place, it is better to wrap it with a cover. In this case, the cold air coming from the ground will be much less absorbed.
Check The Wheels
- Every single adjustable part with the wheels needs to be checked.
- Do not forget to take the spokes tight.
Storing Bicycle: How To Store Bicycles In Winter?
Before storing your bike for winter, you need to prepare it well. Once you see that the bike is completely ready, you can easily store it by choosing a proper place. Now you must be wondering how to choose a perfect place or the right place to keep my bike. Keep reading dear. All your questions will be answered one by one in the next stages.
How To Choose A Perfect Place For Store Cycles In Winter?
- Choose a dry and secure location. You should check the area is free from moisture and pests.
- Consider the temperature of the area. Make sure the area is not too cold or too hot.
- A well-ventilated area is very important for storing a cycle in winter. So please avoid storing your bike in a damp basement, as this can cause rust and corrosion.
- An easily accessible area will help to get the bike in a short time for any need. So choose a place where you can easily get in and out with your bike.
- Examine the safety of the area. The number of thefts increases during winter. Thus it is crucial to lock your bike properly wherever you store it. Of course, you should choose a place where the bicycle will be completely safe.
- A place should be chosen where there is space to store the bicycle by using a stand or rack. If kept in this way, the tire & chain of the bicycle can not get extra dirt and cold extract from the floor.
- Never choose a dirty space to store bicycles during the winter. Typically, a lot of dirt gets on the bike during cycling in winter. If there is dirt in the storage area on it, the bicycle can be damaged.
- Analyze utilizing a dehumidifier. This will boost to protect the air dry and reduce the risk of rust and corrosion.
Some Proper Place For Storing Bicycles In Winter
Storing Bicycles In The Basement
- Storing your bike in the basement is a great way to keep it safe from any type of winter element.
- Cover your cycle with a tarp or blanket to protect it from dust and moisture.
You can put the bike on a bike stand or hang it from the ceiling with an airtight plastic bag over each of the wheels and tyres of your bicycle.
- Place a towel or rag between the bike frame and the cover to absorb moisture.
- Also, keep a dehumidifier in the basement to keep moisture levels low.
Storing Bicycles In Garage
In addition to owning an apartment or house, there are some additional rooms. Among them, the garage is an excellent option to store your bike during the winter because such areas are colder in winter. So, make sure that your bike does not get rusted in extreme cold.
- Keep it away from any type of heat source, such as a furnace.
- And cover it with a tarp or blanket.
Storing Bicycles In Shed
If you have a shed, this is another great place to store your bike during the winter.
- Make sure your shed is dry and well-ventilated.
- Invest in a good bike cover to help protect it from dust and moisture.
- Hang your bike up in the shed. This will help to keep it off the ground and out of the way of any moisture.
- If possible, keep your bike away from direct sunlight.
- Store your bike securely with a lock or chain, even if it’s inside a shed.
Storing Bicycles In Indoor Storage
When you don’t have a basement, garage, or shed, then you can store your bike indoors. It is important to look after a safe and secure environment. Bicycles should be stored in a dry, dark, and temperature-controlled indoor room.
- Make sure to keep the area clean and free of dust.
- Hang the bicycles up on hooks or racks and use a good quality lock to secure them.
Additionally, it is important to keep the storage area well-ventilated to prevent moisture and mildew from forming.
How To Store Bicycles In Winter: In A Short Step
- Clean your bike
- Dry it completely
- Apply lubricant
- Cover with a waterproof cover or bike bag
- Select the proper temperature and dry place
- Use a bike stand to put the cycle
- Remove the battery
- Disconnect all cables
- Keep it upright
- Check the bike periodically after storing it.
Hopefully, after reading my complete article, you will no longer have to stress about storing your bicycle. I have tried my best to share complete details with you. Also, I store my bike for winter by adopting all these methods. That’s why I can give you 100% confidence that by following all these steps you will get a perfect cycle for the whole winter.