Although Shimano & Tektro are two different brands their brakes are little compatible. So maybe as a rider you also think like me, can I use Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes? Looking for the answer to this question, you will find that it is possible to use Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes. Still, it is crucial to note that the specific Shimano brake pad model and category must be consistent with the Tektro brake model otherwise, you will face trouble in your riding period. And you should also check all features of the brakes and brake pads to ensure compatibility.
Different Types Of Shimano Brake Pads & Tektro Brake Pads
Shimano Brake Pads:
- Resin Pads
- Metal Pads
- Ceramic Pads
- Sintered Metal Disc Brake Pads
- Semi-Metallic Pads
- Shimano Deore LX
- Organic Pads
- Shimano Patented Ice-Tech Pads
- Dura-Ace Pads
- Fiber Disc Brake Pads
- Deore Pads
- Shimano XTR Pads
- Carbon Disc Brake Pads
Tektro Brake Pads:
- Tektro IO Disc Brake Pads
- Disc Brake Pads for V-brakes
- Threaded Post Pads
- Tektro Ceramic Disc Brake Pads
- Cantilever Pads
- Long-Arm Pads
- Semi-Metallic Disc Brake Pads
- Linear-Pull Pads
- Dual-Arm Pads
- Rim Brake Pads
- Sintered Disc Brake Pads
- Tektro Resin Disc Brake Pads
- Single-Arm Pads
- Cantilever Pads
Is There Any Difference Between Shimano Brake Pads And Tektro Brakes?
Before using Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes, you must know the differences between these two brands of brake pads. At this level in the writing, I am going to tell you about those major differences.
Each bicycle brake pad is specially built to enhance braking performance. Judging from that aspect, your braking performance can fit a higher level by using Shimano brake pads. It can distribute quite good output for smooth and consistent braking action.
Generally, Tektro brake pads can contribute to jerky and less predictable braking performance. But Shimano brake pads are specially established to submit vastly efficient braking performance with compatible strength.
Peeking at the noise, you can feel that when you use Shimano brake pads on your bicycle brakes, there will be no such noise at first. After some period, there may be little noise. On the other hand, Tektro brake pads are a bit noisy just after installation.
You May Like: Why Is Your Brand New Bicycle Creaking Sound?
Most of the Shimano brand components are priced comparatively higher than other brands. So, Shimano brake pads are much more expensive than Tektro brake pads. However, there are some Tektro brake pads that are also costly. Prices depend entirely on the model and category of brake pads.
Brake Pad Lifespan
Shimano brake pads are manufactured with high-quality materials. That’s why they are much stronger. And naturally, a strong brake pad can provide you with excellent service for a long time. The quality always helps extend the life of your bike’s brakes. On the other hand, Tektro brake pads are commonly not durable as Shimano brake pads. So they need more replacements.
Shimano Brake Pads VS Tektro Brakes Pads: A Short Comparison Chart
|Characteristics||Shimano Brake Pads||Tektro Brakes Pads|
|Performance||Increased performance||Medium and lower than Shimano brake pads|
|Durability||Extra durable||Medium durability|
|Skill to Handle Wet Conditions||Fair ability||Poor than Shimano brake pads|
|Price||Moderate to High||Inexpensive|
So, Can I Use Shimano Brake Pads On Tektro Brakes?
You can use Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes. But before doing this, you must take care of something special.
As you may know, Shimano brake pads are specially manufactured for use on Shimano brakes. In this case, you may not get the same amount of performance when using it on Tektro Brakes.
- Depending on your riding style, type of bicycle, brake system, etc, you need to choose the right brake pad.
- Also, check that the size, shape, and materials of the pads are fully compatible with the Tektro brake system.
And when you understand that you have discovered all the points correctly, only then you can use Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes. You also need to know that the pads and rotors are properly centered and aligned.
Since Shimano and Tektro brakes have different designs, it’s important to understand everything, and also check the whole system. Because after doing all the inspections properly and accurately replacement, you can enjoy a better cycling experience.
You May Like: Do All Tektro Brakes Use The Same Pads?
Advantages Of Using Shimano Brake Pads on Tektro Brakes
- Shimano brake pads are formulated from high-quality materials. So they can invest in better service for a long time. That’s why when you use Shimano brake pads on a Tektro brake it will naturally last longer.
- Employing Shimano brake pads on Tektro brakes that reduce disturbance, vibration, screeching, and brake noise. And procuring a comfortable, smooth, and quiet cycling experience.
- It does not require frequent maintenance. The reason is that Shimano brake pads are more resistant to wear and tear.
- In terms of higher stopping power, improved modulation, and boosted braking response Shimano brake pads can deliver decent action.
- Shimano brake pads commonly produce less dust than Tektro brake pads. So, it is possible to stay clean for a long time.
- It is also much easier to install and replace. So you don’t have to take your bike to the shop.
- For improved modulation, it is possible to gradually quit, without sudden jerks or skidding.
Disadvantage Of Using Shimano Brake Pads On Tektro Brakes
- Brakes are prone to premature wear and tear for different components.
- Sometimes not appropriately aligned with the caliper, which provides uneven braking performance.
- Different designs and sizes may increase noise levels.
- For different compatibility with Tektro brake fluid, Shimano brake pads can decline braking power.
- Costs are unnecessarily increased as more expensive.
- Shimano brake pads are not specifically designed for Tektro brakes. So you don’t get the same level of stopping power.
It is your responsibility as a rider to fit proper brake pads on your favorite bike. After reading today’s full article, you must have realized that Shimano brake pads are able to be attached to Tektro Brakes. I have also given details about the advantages and disadvantages that you will face in this case. Now you can improve your cycling experience with Shimano brake pads by keeping these things in mind. Happy Cycling!