As you must know, pregnancy is a sweet journey to Motherhood. So, those who do regular cycling always have doubts about whether can they Travel on a Bike during the pregnancy period. The shortest and simplest answer to this question is – yes, you can travel by bike during pregnancy time if the bicycle is comfortable for regular commuting, cycling, leisure time passing, or exercise during pregnancy.
Several studies show that bike riding is a completely safe and low-impact aerobic exercise that a female rider can enjoy during her entire pregnancy and there is no chance of any problem. But of course, when you think about bike riding during pregnancy, you need to do the riding with a whole lot of special care.
In today’s article, we will discuss this in more detail. Moreover, I will give more details about how bike riding can be right for you during the entire pregnancy time or if there is any possibility of miscarriage. Apart from that, you will also get information about how much bike riding is suitable for you or whether you can complete riding perfectly in the time after C-Section. I know you must be very eager to know all this information. So hold your excitement and read the entire article carefully from beginning to end.
Is It Safe To Travel During Pregnancy By Bike?
Bike touring is safe for most of your pregnancy if you don’t have pregnancy complications and need any special attention.
The best time to travel is when your morning sickness is gone, in the second trimester.
- Even cycling is possible during the third trimester but should be avoided if you suffer from fatigue and discomfort.
- If you exercise during pregnancy you can get a wonderful feeling for your growing body and your mind as well.
Also, going for outdoor rides will not be bad either. Nonetheless, outdoor bicycle riding can play an important role in making your body more effective and better.
Physical activity through cycling will not only keep you fit and strong. Rather, it will result in a more cheerful mood and a constant increase in physical strength. Plus, it can be quite beneficial for your unborn BABY too!
Can We Travel In Bike During Pregnancy?
Of course, you can travel by bike during pregnancy. But cycling can cause nausea or vomiting for many people, so be aware of those things, and especially this time, always wear comfortable clothing while cycling.
Many Would-Be Moms experienced some health changes and problems during pregnancy.- more specifically, those who have children for the first time. All experiences of a new mother with a first child are new. So, after the birth of the first child, the times of the second child seem much easier.
You May Like: Can You Travel With a Folding Bike?
In Pregnancy time, cycling can be done but-
- there is a high chance of miscarriage during the first three months and it is better not to cycle for a long time.
- Cycling should not be done on roads that are bumpy or bumpy. Besides, if you want to go far, it is better not to go alone.
- Always carry a water bottle with you while cycling.
- You can also keep fruit or light food with it. If you are very hungry during a bike ride, you can eat home-cooked food instead of spicy food.
However, the loved ones of new mothers are very concerned about whether there is any harm to the mother or child in the case of cycling during pregnancy. So, usually, Mothers often don’t want to go for a bike ride during pregnancy. It is considered risky for the unborn child to go anywhere by riding a bicycle for almost a whole year.
But experts say, there is no obstacle in the case of bike riding during pregnancy. And, remember these-
- Don’t go cycling with heavy bags during pregnancy.
- If you have to go riding somewhere far away, definitely consult your doctor.
- Do not take any riding steps or stunts that may cause additional stress.
So, Can We Travel In Bike During Early Pregnancy?
It is a YES, but pregnant women have to be careful about the fetus during the early pregnancy days.
Bicycle traveling especially during pregnancy can become a risk factor for the unborn child in some cases. But it is not right to stop going out at once. Although many working females have to cycle to the office, you can travel to the office regularly. But you must pay attention to some things and maintain precautions as the Doctor advised during the cycle trip so that you can certainly avoid any kind of unwanted incident during the Early Pregnancy days.
Is It Safe To Travel In Bike During The First Trimester?
Bike riding during pregnancy can be very good. Especially, during the first and second trimesters. As biking is generally considered to be a particularly great form of exercise, you can say that it is safe to travel by bike during the first trimester.
A female biker may experience fatigue, and back pain during bicycle traveling, so all measures should be taken to eliminate it.
- If a pregnant woman is planning a long bicycle trip, she must choose a bicycle that is the least safe, and most comfortable and should take into account the duration of pregnancy.
- During the first three months of pregnancy, doctors often do not recommend going on long bike rides.
- During this period the body of a pregnant woman is still experiencing strong hormonal changes and many suffer from morning sickness and vomiting along with toxicosis. So keep that in mind and do what your Doc & Body ask you to.
- Additional Tips-
The Reasons – When & Why Pregnant Women Should Avoid Cycling
Cycling is possible most of the time while pregnant. However, cycling should be avoided at certain times. Cycling should be avoided during pregnancy in the following cases:
- History of Abortion or Preterm Labor: If you or someone in your family has had a miscarriage or preterm labor, it is best to avoid bicycle travel.
- Multiple Pregnancies: If you are pregnant with twins or more, your doctor may advise against cycling. Because multiple pregnancies put you at risk of premature birth.
- Preeclampsia or High Blood Pressure: Females with preeclampsia may face some complications during pregnancy. As a result, any riding can tire you out and lead to more complications.
- Placental Abnormalities: Conditions like placenta praevia and placental abruption can pose a significant risk to both you and the baby. Bleeding may also be common if you suffer from this condition. In that case, Cycling is not recommended and is strongly prohibited. Because it can increase your and your baby’s risk of complications.
- Gestational Diabetes: Women with gestational diabetes need adequate rest and care, as severe cases can lead to birth complications. So, excessive cycling should be avoided if you have gestational diabetes.
- Incompetent Cervix: A weak uterus increases your risk of preterm labor and heavy cycling movements can cause rupture of membranes during labor. Plenty of bed rest is advised to overcome these complications.
- Heavy Bleeding During Pregnancy: It is normal to have some bleeding during pregnancy. However, if you experience heavy bleeding, it is wise to opt for the cycle tour option to avoid any complications and discomfort.
- Ectopic Pregnancy: Mothers with an ectopic pregnancy are at serious risk. If you have an ectopic pregnancy, especially with preeclampsia, it is best to avoid cycling to reduce complications.
Does Bike Travel Cause Miscarriage?
Different types of physical activity do not increase your risk of miscarriage or premature delivery. So, you can say that Bike Travel doesn’t cause miscarriage. Again, most women’s exercise is good for pregnancy.
Traveling on a two-wheeler or scooter can be much safer during pregnancy. But you must take extra precautions when riding a two-wheeler during pregnancy.
- Furthermore, you should cycle very slowly during pregnancy. Apart from that, avoid the hilly areas or off-road areas.
- You should not cycle for long periods of time. It can be very dangerous for your health at this time.
Can You Travel On Bike After C-Section?
Yes, you can travel on a bike after C-Section. Apart from bicycles, you can easily travel by any other form of transport.
But it is important to ensure that you should not cycle directly for long distances. Also, you should complete the cycling with some breaks. In the six weeks following a C-section, you can cycle steadily, slowly, if your doctor has given you the proper all-clear. If you had a C-section or stitches, you must allow the stitches to dry. Doctors often advise avoiding all exercise and cycling while the C-section stitches dry.
Safety Tips For Cycling During Pregnancy:
❖ Stretch Your Muscles
You need to keep your blood circulating in the right measurement while cycling through regular exercise. So, Take some breaks from cycling, walking, and stretching your legs as much as possible. This will prevent the risk of deep vein thrombosis which can lead to potentially dangerous blood clots.
❖ Carry Travel Kit
Carry a travel kit for cycling with compression socks, prenatal vitamins, hemorrhoid cream, medical documents and your doctor’s contact details, healthy snacks, hand sanitizer, and medicine (pregnancy-friendly).
❖ Stay Hydrated
Always remember to stay hydrated throughout the bike ride. And, avoid Caffeinated drinks.
❖ Consult Your Doctor
Discuss your travel plans with your Doctor. Because only he/she can provide you with all the right advice and the necessary medical precautions as per your condition. Moreover, you should also have routine check-ups to ensure you are in optimal health for cycling.
❖ Be Comfortable In All The Way
During the pregnancy period- wear comfortable clothes to go cycling, protect yourself from the sun and make sure you listen to your body’s signals. If you feel any discomfort, go home as soon as possible and get plenty of rest.
❖ Don’t Rush
Be patient when starting cycling. Do not cycle too fast.
❖ Hygienic Practices
Ensure proper hygiene if you need to go to the washroom and toilet while cycling.
Hope that you are more motivated to take up cycling after learning all the important information in today’s article. Undoubtedly, bike travel can make your pregnancy journey more beautiful.
Cycling during pregnancy is definitely possible with proper precautions and care but I strongly recommend it up to the 3rs trimester, and as your Doctor says. So, without any big hesitation, follow all the information given in today’s article regarding bike riding during and after pregnancy, if your Doctor’s signal is affirmative. The main reason for asking you is that- Biking during pregnancy can improve your body and mind.