Bicycles come in different sizes for different people. And, according to the uses of bicycle shapes also vary from one bicycle to another. A bicycle whose wheel or frame size is 16 inches is generally called a 16″ bicycle but that is not as linear as it says. As the 16-inch bicycle is typically suitable for short people but in terms of height, not age.
Therefore, today I am going to discuss in detail about 16-inch bicycle size and the perfect persons or cyclists for it to resolve the doubts. And, if you read this article till the end, you will learn a lot of things about the 16-inch bicycle, its size chart as per Road bike, MTB, BMX, Kid’s bicycles, Hybrid bike, and many more cycles. Let’s deep dive into the main dissection.
What Is The 16-Inch Bicycle Exactly?
- Wheel Size, and
- Frame Size.
👉 Normally, kids’ bicycles are measured based on wheel size.
👉 On the other hand, adult bicycles are measured according to frame size.
👉 And, frame size or wheel based on which the bicycle size is measured doesn’t matter, if the bicycle measures 16 inches, then it will be considered a 16-inch bicycle.
Are All 16-Inch Bicycles The Same?
No, all 16-inch bicycles are not the same. Because there are different types of bicycles of different sizes such as road bicycles, mountain bicycles, touring, track bikes, BMX, cruiser bicycles, hybrids, cyclocross bicycles, e-bikes, and so on. And their shapes and heights are different from one to the other types.
- Each bicycle is used for different purposes such as commuting, cruising, racing, and traveling.
- Again, it can be seen that some bicycles are used for more than one purpose.
As their characteristics are also different, so the 16-inch bicycle is not equal to all other 16-inch bicycles. They can be different and suitable for different sizes or ages people.
Although a few bicycles are almost the same a lot of bicycles are different in size. Therefore, it is clear to us that all 16-inch bicycles size are not the same.
How To Determine A Suitable 16-Inch Bicycle For You?
You can determine a suitable 16-inch bicycle for you in two ways by measuring wheel size or frame size.
- Kids’ bicycles and mountain bicycles are measured according to wheel size.
- On the contrary, adults bicycle such as MTBs, Hybrid bicycles, and Trek bikes are measured according to frame size.
- Besides, Gravels, Road bicycles, and City bicycles are bigger and they are starting from 18 inches.
You May Like: 18-Inch Bike For What Size Person?–A Complete Guide
So, you can find your desired bicycle by looking at the age and height-wise bicycle size chart. Now I will present some bicycle size charts.
Bicycle Size Chart According To Wheel Size:
At the time of measuring bicycle size by the wheel, we consider age a fact as age plays an important role to choose a suitable bicycle.
- Kid Bicycle: A consistent bicycle for your child is enough to make him/her happy. But kids’ bicycles are different from adults’ bicycles. These bicycles are measured based on wheel size. So, selecting a perfect-size bicycle you have to consider age and height. And, to find the accurate height of your children, you need to measure and know about the inseam size. See the following chart.
Kid Bicycle’s Size Chart
|Cyclist Height||Wheel Size||Age|
- BMX Bike: BMX means bicycle motocross. It is a small-size bicycle and uses on different roads for different purposes such as racing, off-road, stunts, BMX bicycle has become very popular for their no brakes, fewer components strong wheel, and lightweight. Moreover, the size of this bicycle is determined according to the wheel size.
BMX Bicycle’s Size Chart
|Cyclist Height||Wheel Size||Age (years)|
A 16-inch BMX bicycle is ideal for 3′ 7″ to 4′ riders or 5-7-year-old kids. But if your growth is high, then you can use an 18″ bicycle.
Bicycle Size Chart According To Frame Size:
To measure bicycle size according to frame size, height is more important than age.
- Mountain Bike: Mountain bicycle is designed for off-road cycling. MTB runs on hill tracks and paved surfaces with powerful brakes, and strong tyres where a wide ratio of gears makes it comfortable for off-road cycling.
Mountain Bicycle’s Size Chart
|Cyclist Height||Frame Size|
|4′ 11″ – 5′ 2″||13″|
|4′ 11″ – 5′ 4″||14″|
|5′ 1″ – 5′ 6″||15″|
|5′ 4″ – 5′ 8″||16″|
|5′ 6″ – 5′ 10″||17″|
|5′ 8″ – 6′ 0″||18″|
If your height is around 5’.5”, then you can ride a mountain bicycle. Otherwise, it doesn’t need to know how old you are.
- Hybrid Bicycle: Hybrid bicycle is a combination of a road bicycle and an MTB. And, it is very much suitable for city and mountain roads. Thus you can use a hybrid bike for road cycling, touring and commuting, etc.
To find the perfect bicycle for you see the following chart.
Hybrid Bicycle’s Size Chart
|Cyclist Height||Frame Size|
Then, The 16-Inch Bike For What Size Person?
The 16-inch bicycle is for kids and short people. It is most suitable for kids who are under 4 inches. On the contrary, if we measure a 16-inch bicycle according to frame size, then it is suitable for adults also.
Comparatively short people feel comfortable riding a 16-inch bicycle. But the 16-inch bicycles are best for people whose height is around 5.5″ or more. So, we are now sure that 16-inch bicycles are suitable for short people and kids.
And, 16-Inch Bicycle For What age?
A 16-inch bicycle based on wheel size is a perfect choice for 4–7-years-old kids.
- If your child has good physical growth and is relatively tall, then he can ride an 18-inch bicycle.
- On the other hand, if your child’s height is short for his age, he will ride a bicycle smaller than 16 inches. In that case, a 12-inch bicycle will be suitable for him.
If bicycle size is measured by frame size, then age has no effect. In this case, the height more precisely affects the inseam length.
- Keep Remembering- a person’s age is not very important in determining the size of the bicycle but his height is important in determining the size of the bicycle.
Is A 16-Inch Bicycle Suitable For 6 Years Old?
Yes! A 16-inch bicycle is suitable for a 6-year-old.
We know a 16-inch bicycle is suitable for 4-7 years old kids. That’s why it can be easily said that a 16-inch bicycle is suitable for 6 years old.
But Are 16 Years Old Suitable For 9 Years Old?
No! If your child’s physical growth is normal, then a 16-inch bicycle is not suitable for a 9-year-old. But if your child’s growth is not normal i.e., physical growth is less than his age, then he can ride a 16-inch bicycle at 9 years old.
Moreover, Is A 16-Inch Bicycle Suitable For Women?
Yes! 16-inch bicycle is suitable for women.
Nowadays all bicycles are unisex, so there is no difference between a man’s and a woman’s bicycle. Though, in some cases, we see slight differences. After all, a female or kid under 4″ or between 4-7 years can ride a 16-inch bicycle. Besides, A woman around 5.5″ is also can ride a 16″ bicycle.
Closing Thought Regarding 16-Inch Bike For Suitable Person
All 16-inch bicycles are not the same because different types of bicycles have different sizes. But typically, the 16 inches bicycle is a smaller size bicycle and a woman can ride a 16-inch bicycle if she fits. So, it is suitable for short people and kids or teenagers. Finally, before buying a 16-inch bicycle, you should give it a trial to check whether it is perfect for you or not.
Always Pedaling With The Right-Size Bike For The Comfort and Joyful Cycling, My Friend.